WHAT IS THAT AWFUL NOISE???

2001 Honda Civic

My car makes a horrible high-pitched sound whenever I am driving 60mph+. I originally thought one of my belts might be wearing oddly, and so I had them all replaced. This was not the issue. The sound definitely comes from the front of the car, and it sounds to me like it's coming from the passenger side. The sound is kind of a whistling/whirring sound. My theory is that there is something off with my right tire. Or that something isn't sealed tightly, and the wind going over the car makes a sound because of the way it's hitting something. When I roll down my driverside window, I'm pretty sure the sound stops. Unless the noise of the window just muffles it. As far as I can tell the car is driving just fine. Any thoughts?

Emmmaglenn

Noisy wheel bearings are common on all car brands. They sound like an airplane engine.

I got my tires rotated last week. Would that be something they would've noticed?

Emmmaglenn
If it happened after rotating tires it might be from a cupping tire that's now in the front. Check the front tires

Djcl
No. There's no fast and easy way to identify a noisy wheel bearing by looking at it. Sometimes you can figure out which one is causing the noise by spinning the wheel by hand and feeling for the vibration on the strut, but what has worked best for me is listening with a stethoscope. You have to do that by running the car in gear on a hoist, then listening next to each one. The noisy bearing will be obvious.

Another method is by using a tool called a "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones placed at suspect points, then you listen with headphones while driving and switching between them. You might be able to find one of these at an auto parts store that rents or borrows tools, but be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. All new car dealerships have them, and suspension and alignment specialists use them to find clunks and rattles.