HONDA CIVIC ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Honda Civic • 157,000 miles

I am the original owner of a 2001 Honda Civic LX. The car’s check engine light has recently been coming on and occasionally in the warmer months will loose power after the car reaches a certain temperature. I will be driving and when the problem kicks in it will not let me get above 30MPH unless I’m going down hill and then only to 40MPH.
The temperature gauge is not above where it would normally be after the car warms up so it’s not like it’s over heating (according to the gauge). When the problem starts occurring we have to pull over, raise the hood and slowly pour water over the engine to cool it down. After a few minutes of cooling off we can resume driving normally.
It’s had the coolant changed and the fan works properly. A Honda mechanic hooked it up the computer and said that the reason for the check engine light was that the catalytic converter was bad. Could this be the reason for the occasional loss of power? Please HELP!

If the catalytic converter is clogged, the car will lose a TON of power. Have a new one installed (have a cheap universal welded in) and your car should stop overheating (assuming there isn't any cooling issues) and accelerate properly.

If you replace it and the car still overheats then you have other cooling issues.

Blaze45