HORRIBLE LOUD GRINDING NOISE WHEN IDLE

2001 GMC Jimmy • 180,000 miles

Our 2001 4 door GMC Jimmy 4x4 (our only car) has no gears, won't drive forward or backward with or without my foot on the accelerator, has a horrible loud grinding noise when idle. Could this indicate that the transmission went out?

My wife and I bought this car about 2 years ago. When we bought it, it had a rebuilt engine and all worn parts were replaced. This is our only car. We live in a town that has no public transportation including taxi cabs and is more than 5 miles to the nearest stores, etc. I'm 100% permanently disabled. My wife and I almost have to put my social security retirement income under a microscope to find it. We financially cannot afford to pay $130 to have our car towed 7 miles to the nearest mechanic.
GrandmaB5560

It sounds like the differential or transmission is out, look under the car while stop and making the noise, if the drive shaft is spinning, the diff is bad, if the drive shaft is not turning the problem is in the transmission.

Thanks for using 2Carpros. Com the best car repair site in the world!