FORD TAURUS STARTER PROBLEM

2001 Ford Taurus • 162,000 miles

Im a woman so be careful how you answer, my car will start but then it wont start. When it doesn't start it wont even turn over. So I was told it may be the starter by one person but another told me it may need starting fluid(huh, thought that stopped with the 90's) and another said it may be a sensor. I just want it to start any suggestions? If I need starting fluid where do I put it?

Starting fluid is never a solution. If it was, every new car would come with a supply.

If the engine doesn't crank, you have to listen for additional clues. Do you hear the single clunk of the starter relay each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank"? If you do, check the cable connections on the relay; in particular the copper nut on the large battery cable bolted to it. Also suspect strands of wire corroded away under the insulation right next to the starter. That's a real common problem on Fords.

If there's no sound at all, what happens to the brightness of the interior lights or head lights when you try to start it?