FORD TAURUS FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

2001 Ford Taurus • 120,000 miles

Changed the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Reason being I would drive the car maybe 5 or so miles to the store let say when I would come out it would start but run very rough then die. I then would have to wait any where from 30 minutes to an hour before it would start then it would be fine all day this kept happening, thats why I changed the fuel pump and relay.
I really need to get this going before I lose my job Help!

I don't know why you would start simply throwing parts at it with no testing at all.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wrenchtech