MY AC COMPRESSOR WENT BAD IN MY - 3.0 - ENGINE CODE - U.

2001 Ford Taurus • 75,000 miles

I replaced the Compressor (came with a clutch and Pag oil), replaced the accumulator, replaced the orifice tube, and had the shop service the ac after that. The AC Clutch will not engage. When I turn the AC on, I hear the power being pulled to power the AC, but the clutch does not engage. I found a blown 10 Amp fuse and replaced it. Still. Nothing. I replaced the AC Relay and the clutch will still not engage. I also pulled the negative battery cable to reset it, and still got nothing. Please help!
Jasoneus2000

I dont understand about the power pull down.

Does the front of the compressor turn when the ac is on? Do you have pressure gauges? If the shop serviced it, then it must have worked, at least I am assuming that.

What was the 10 amp fuse for? Did it blow again when you replaced it?

The front of the Compessor is not turning when the AC is on. The shop did notice that the cluch did not engage after recharging the system. The

The 10 Amp fuse was related to the AC and did not blow again. I assumed that the fuse blew when the old compressor went bad.

Jasoneus2000
Ok, I still dont understand how the shop can charge you for charging a system that does not work.

Ok. The compressor gets it command from the computer after it sees pressure in the system. Assuming it still has freon, the low pressure switch may be bad. Also, the inside switch on the dash will send a command to the compressor as well.

There are many factors that go into making the compressor work. You will need some help from a shop to diag it for you.

One simple thing you can do is see if there is power to the plug at the compressor. It should be 12 volts and the other side is ground.

By the way, thanks for answering so quickly. The shop did not find any pressure related issues, so I havent used any guages after it was serviced. Thanks.

Jasoneus2000
Thanks, I will test the power to the Compressor plug. The shop charged me for evacuating and than recharging the system with the machine after the new parts were put on.

Jasoneus2000
Let me know how you make out

Will do, thanks again.

Jasoneus2000
Sorry, its been a while. Lots of rain lately. I tested the AC connection and there was nothing. I also tested the fuses for resistance and found that the #'s 28 and 29 fuses had no resistance. The # 28 fuse is labeled as AC Clutch. All other fuses had resistance. Im not sure if thats relevent, or these fuses are dormant when the engine is not running.

Jasoneus2000
Replace the fuses. From your description, they are blown.