COULD I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY WHEEL BEARINGS, AXLE, DRIVE MECHANISM?

2001 Ford Mondeo • 16,700 miles

My mondeo 2001 1.8 Zetec petrol, manual has developed a loud whining noise when driving over 50mph. It also feels like I'm driving with the handbrake on over this speed. The noise gets louder the faster I drive over 50mph and makes no difference what gear I'm in or what revs I'm doing - it only occurs over 50mph. I've just had to do a 300 mile journey in this state! - During this journey the management system warning light has also come on but I don't know if the 2 things are related.
Tracey Connolly

Check your fluid levels first in trans/axle. Then look for torn boots on the axle shafts or signs of grease being thrown. If you see that then there is agood possibility your axle joints are wearing an dmaking noise. Normally driving in a large circle one way or another is a good way to detect a bad wheel bearing. Drive in a large left circle and if you feel vibration check right bearing and vice versa.