WHICH IS THE MORE VIABLE OPTION: PURCHASE A USED MOTOR FOR THE PRE-OWNED THAT I CURRENTLY OWN OR INVEST IN ANOTHER VERY ECONOMICAL USED CAR?

2001 Ford Focus • 130,000 miles

I purchased a privately owned 2001 Focus & all was well until I had the oil "topped-off" at a name brand oil chain shop. Shortly thereafter, (while driving)the engine went clankity clankity (very loudly) & immediately shut off. I was later told that: 1)one of the cylinders may be damaged & 2)there is about 1 qt. Too much oil showing on the dipstick & water in the engine oil; also, I was told a new motor will be $1100-$1400+; is that about right? (Although I realize that there are no guarantees w/either decision, I'm on a (very limited) income and attempting to make the best possible decision.
Thanks guys.
Khhorizons

That estimate seems a little low, but probably close. Make sure and get everything in writing including a detailed estimate of everything that they are doing.
Make sure you know what type of engine they are putting in (used, new, remanufactured, etc.)

Promechanic