01 162000 MILES ON IT , AND IT IS A ZTEC MOTOR DOHC

2001 Ford Focus • 162,000 miles

Hit the key forward do not start it it clicks wildly. When yougo to start it nothing no sound nothing. I was driving it down the road and the electric went hay wire, dash, wipers, radio, everything then it died oh and it slammed a couple of times ( car jolted forward hard) and alternator, starter, battery all tested good any suggestions?
Robert85

Have you had it scanned for codes yet?

Rivermikerat
No,

But it will not even go into gear with the key hit,
just dim and clicking. No engine light on,
i know that means nothing but I think it is electrical
or ignition problem? But don't know I appreciate your input.

Robert85
You need to get the battery tested. How old is it? How many cold cranking amps does it develop and at how many volts? Is the starter and starter relay getting power? Check the fusible link. Pull the alternator and have it tested. The regulator may have gone out, causing a severe voltage spike in the system.

Rivermikerat
Ok,

Alternator, battery, starter all tested fine, where is that fusible link at is it in front by the radiator?

Robert85
Near the battery. It will have a tab on it. It's a wire.
Also check the ignition and starter relays.

Wild clicking usually means either a bad solenoid or a weak battery.

The starter and starter relay, are they getting power? How many volts? And how many volts does the battery have?

Rivermikerat
I had a similar problem, but for me when I went to start the car, all I got was the sound of the fuel pump ( I think ) trying to start.

It turns out that when I went to put my foot on the clutch pedal I hit a wire that goes behind the clutch pedal & pulled it out of the bracketing system there & that prevented the car from starting.

Reconnected the wire & worked fine after that.

Jimhfx
Sounds like a neutral safety switch.

Rivermikerat
Had same prob check battery connection make sure pis and neg ate connected securely and tight and u have all wires connected to batt. Wiggle them whatev ive got 289xxx miles on my 01 foxus zetech 2.0 dohc

Ditscheit
Good recommendations ditscheit.

Jimhfx, thanks for the update. Glad it was something so easy and didn't cost anything to repar.

Rivermikerat