VIBRATION WHEN TURNING

2001 Ford Explorer • 4.0L V6 4WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

From a stop only when I make a turn I feel a vibration like I'm running over rumble strips
Jason Daniel Cain

Maybe you broke a belt in the tire? Have you tried rotating the tires, any change? Next, I'd have to check steering and suspension.

Just to add, when you turn the wheel, are the tires rubbing on anything?

I was looking up more info on your vehicle, found this service bulletin. Are your tires oem, proper air pressure?

No my tires aren't rubbing tires are in good shape could it be the transfer case or something along that?

Jason Daniel Cain
Or my differential?

Jason Daniel Cain
I'd have it looked at. Does the service bulletin sound like the issue? The bulletin says to use a taylor type tape measure/cloth tape measure, measure the circumference of all tires and compare, front to back and side to side. Make sure they all have the proper air pressure listed on the decal. The circumference should all be within half inch.

Had the same problem with my 1997 Explorer. The day before it happened, I had moved the car without starting it (pushed it to a different parking spot). It started having the same problem as yours just after that. Turns out by cranking the steering wheel without power, it introduced air into the power steering fluid (per my mechanic). Didn't make much sense to me how that could happen, but he drained/bled/flushed the line and refilled. Haven't had the problem since. Hope this helps.

Tstrumb