FORD ESCORT COMPRESSION PROBLEM

2001 Ford Escort • 15,000 miles

2001 Ecsort ZX2. Idles great in neutral. When put in gear it chugs and wants to die. Replaced terribly worn plugs, that helped the idle. Not the in gear issue. There is also a slight miss upon acceleration, in neutral. Thank you for your help. Hopefully.
Cabledeo

Did you check for trouble codes?
Does turning the A/C on/off makes any difference to the idling speed?
What is the idling speed?

The only trouble code listed Misfire cylinder #1, #2, #3 and #4. Sorry I forgot to tell you this info. Cleared code. Never came on again.

Cabledeo
Ok. Idle speed in neutral is1100RPM. A/C does'nt seem to affect idle speed significantly.

Cabledeo
The idling speed is too high but it should not be resulting in the stalling. The misfire codes might not be present now but it is something to work on.
Check the fuel pressure and test the engine compression.
The hesitation and misfiring could be a fault with the fuel system.

Ok. So it seems that there could be only a couple of common denominators that would show a mis-fire in all cylinders under a load. Is it not possible that a cam or throttle position sensor or oxygen sensor has failed. Or do none of that have anything to do with the idling, while under a load? What should it be idling at? If it is a fault with the fuel system, does that mean there is some sensor that could be creating the idle issue?

Cabledeo
Were the misfire codes before or after spark plugs replacement?
Sensors can cause misfires but they would usually throw codes. Other possible causes of misfiring would be vacuum leaks, EGR valves stuck open, low fuel pressure, low engine compression.

Codes were there before the plug change out. Had them cleared. Have not returned. Though haven't driven it very far since getting them cleared. What aspect of the vacuum system could be related to our issue? I have a repair manual to trace such a problem. Again it idles in neutral so smoothly and quiet you can hardly hear it running. When put in gear, it's like the timing is somehow affected or it is running on half the cylinders. I will have checked compression by the time I hear back from you. Again, I appreciate all the help. Thanks

Cabledeo
The misfiring could have been triggerred by the bad spark plugs and have since been rectified. Since there are no trouble codes present, it would be more difficult to check.

Since you have the manual, check the section for symptoms without trouble codes. It explains what to look for.

Alright. I got to tell you though. I would of thought you would of given me some methods for testing the electric components in the electrical system possibly related to my problem. I can honestly tell you, you have been little help. Please keep the ten dollars, and I will consider it a lesson in futility, and all in all a cheap lesson in what not to look for from on-line help. Since having the manual, you surely must have considered the possibility that I have already exhausted that resource.

Cabledeo
Sorry if you feel we have not been of much help. We do not know of all the things that you have done and those that you have checked. The history of repairs done on the vehicle is a mystery to us and we have to go step by step.
You have not provided the compression readings and you are our hands and eyes whereby the data we work on comes from you.
Getting an answer online definitely is not as easy as asking the mechanic standing next to you.

Btw if you are not happy with the help, you can always request for a refund, no questions asked.

Have a nice day.