IDLING AT 4000 RPM

2001 Ford Escape • 20,200 miles

Replacing IAC valve did not help, but unplugging it drops rpms to almost nothing so that car is drivable. Now auto tranny won't shift but I assume that's because of idle issue. What's causing such a high idle? High idle issue started after rinsing off motor with garden hose. Used stream and soft spray to rinse off motor. Left to dry for a few hours, then started engine and problems started. Thank you.
Elliott

Did you use a new one or used one?

It may have shorted out something if it is commanding full open

New iac valve. Good idea about a possible short. Fuses all look good. What else do I check?

Elliott
Look for vacuum leaks. It would be a big one like the power brake booster hose or pcv line

Hmm, lines and hoses aren't leaking. I reconnected IAC sensor and disconnected the Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle body, and it's running like a gem now. Possibly a short in that sensor was commanding it to run wide open just as you suggested. Will replace that sensor and go from there. Thank you for your help.

Elliott
How did you make out?