FRESHLY REBUILT CD4E WITH P1744 AND P0741

2001 Ford Escape • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 153,000 miles

Hi. I just installed a fully rebuilt CD4E and torque converter into my mint 2001 Ford Escape. At first the transmission would not work at all so the company sent me a new valve body and solenoid. That helped. I drove it but imediatly after about 45mph the servo piston components blew out of it. I replaced them with new factory parts including a new piston and it happened again: ( It was caused by corrosion behind the c-clip retaining ring for the servo components(missed on the rebuild.) No big problem. After correcting the problem I drove the truck for 5-6 miles on back roads and the yellow O/D light came on flashing: ( The check engine light came on shortly after. I erased the code several times, but after a few miles it always comes back. I have a Snap on Modis with k2 Ford key available for use tomorrow from a friend. I don't think there is a Ford break out box available. I've checked the trans fluid pressures manually and I got the correct values before-some weeks ago, but now they seem off for some reason. Specified for P, N, and R is 64-76PSI. I get a good 74PSI. For OD, D, and 1 it is specified 45-63PSI but I get too high of a pressure. For D-69PSI, 2nd-106PSI, and 1st-86PSI.
The transmission shifts great, but when you put it into drive it takes a second to engage. In reverse it takes a couple seconds to engage. I don't like that. If you get stuck, you won't be able to rock yourself out because of this problem. It happened already because we had snow here.
My engine is also running rough but I think this is due to bad ignition coils though I'm not suprised if it could be related or some kind of limp mode. I ordered a full set of coils anyway. They'll be here in a couple days. I already have new plugs. To add misery to misery my starter went good bye in the meantime.
Bralden

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System Performance Or Stuck Off

P1744 Torque Converter Clutch System Performance

Was the converter replaced with the transmission? Have you checked the TCC?

Yes I said I replaced the torque converter with the transmission. I went throught the full pin point test for the fault code P1744 and all of the wiring checks out good with no continuity where there shouldn't be and continuity where there should be. I checked the PCM and trans connectors and wiring and that is all in good shape visually. I have just checked the TCC with the Snap On Modis today while driving. I had another problem. I had the car driving on jack stands, with the wheels free for an extended period of time while doing checks through the Modis. Now I get an ABS light continuously but no code shows up for it in the Modis.
Yes, today I drove the car to check the TCC through the scanner and as I approach 45-50mph it should lock if I'm correct. The TCC% should go to 100% and the TCC RPM should go from about 550 or so to 0 when locked. Is that correct? Well that did not occur very well. I did see 100% and the TCC at 0 RPM but only for a spit second or so. It never stayed there. I will test drive more tomorrow.
Also something odd to consider: I rechecked my transmission pressures and I now get different readings then before once again! For P, R, N=85PSI For 1, 2, D=95PSI.
Any advice on that ABS light. Its driving me nuts. I cleared the codes and it came right back. I hope the ABS control module didn't dye now. Please help thanks.

Bralden
Sorry I made a typo. For P, R, N=95PSI For 1, 2, D=85PSI. Weird. I wonder what I'll get next time.

Bralden
The pressure readings are interesting. I have to be honest, I don't think the converter is any good. I will wait to see if there is a change when you check it again. As far as the specs with the TCC, they are correct. Now for the ABS light. No code becomes a guessing game. Have you visually inspected the sensors to make sure nothing has shorted or come disconnected? . I just sat here and was thinking about the issues. What is making this odd is the higher pressures you are getting. They should be causing an abrupt shift and they aren't. Nothing was done in the transmission with clutch packs, correct? Have you had the valve body apart?

Yes, I found the problem for the ABS just before I read your reply. I was using the modis to check the wheel speed sensors actual values and the right front would read 0 only in a left turn. Inspected it and found a cracked tone ring in the right front. The vibration of the wheels spinning while hanging freely must not have been a good thing. It seems this is something that also happens a lot on these Escapes. It never ends.
No, never had the valve body appart. Only replaced it with a bran new solenoid block and solenoid block gasket and made sure I had the correct orientation on the gasket.
The transmission was rebuilt. I didn't open it or do anything with the clutch packs. As for the rebuilders, I don't know.
As for the transmission. You said my specs are correct? You mean when I said, "The TCC% should go to 100% and the TCC RPM should go from about 550 or so to 0 when locked?" I checked the TCC % of lock up again and it just stayed at 0% and the TCC RPM dropped to 60 RPM or so for a split second again but did not stop. Its not locking up. I'll check the transmission pressures again shortly to see what I get this time.

Bralden
Ok. The abs tone ring is now installed onto the already new right front axle. What a pitty. I have test drove with the modis and the TCC% stayed at 0% this time and the TCC RPM didn't go down. I took the pressures of the transmission this time and guess what. They all are normal today. I checked when cold and when hot. When hot I got 48PSI for 1, 2, D and 68PSI for N, R, P. When cold the values were about ten PSI more since the ambient temp is about 30-35F here now.
* The crazy pressure readings may have been because my engine wasn't running up to par and the engine roughness was intermittent. I will check again tomorrow and see if the pressures stay the same since I just recieved the ignition coils in the mail and replaced all 6. While doing so I rechecked the plugs. They are good. They are bran new bosch platnums. I also found a vaccum hose disconnected. That sure doesn't help it to run smooth. Engine runs like a top now. Even the shifting from Drive to Reverse and back seems a lot better. Before there was a very slight delay that caused it to jurk sometimes.
* I have not checked with the Modis the TCC% or TCCRPM but it feels like it might be engaging now. I don't know until tomorrow. I'll have to borrow the Modis again.
*The O/D light came back on again at about 5-6 miles after driving again. Engine and tranny seem like they are operating perfectly. And trans pressures are still in range.
*The only driving symptom I notice is that it engages in Drive a little hard especially R to D, but not bad at all. Thats it. Shifting is perfect and smooth!

Bralden
That's good news. Let me know if it continues.

No, not good news. I said the O/D light came back on. AKA The codes P1744 and P0741 are still there and I can not pass emissions here in NY. The transmission was shifting perfect the whole time except for the slightly ruff clunk from R to D or P to D but that is better now.

Bralden
Pulled apart everything on top of the trans. Had to replace the starter again anyway. This POS. Replaced all of the coolant hoses since I was right there and there was multiple leaks. I couldn't find anything wrong with the wires or sensors anywhere. I looked over every inch of the engine and trans. I'm almost at my wits end with this O/D light.

Bralden
I'm going to ask another tech to take a look for some input. Expect another response.