MY 01' WILL RANDOMLY REV UP AND DOWN WHEN I'M AT LOW SPEEDS OR WHEN I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL. I HAVE TO RIDE THE BRAKES IN A PARKING LOT BECAUSE IT CONSTANTLY JUST JOLTS FORWARD WITHOUT A WARNING. WHAT COULD THIS BE?? NOTE: IT HAPPENS MOSTLY

2001 Ford Escape • 117,000 miles

It's a 3.0L V6. I'll put the truck in park and turn the steering wheel and the truck will rev up really high and then back down to the point where it almost bog out (headlights dim and such). This just recently started to happen. Something behind the dash also makes a quiet squealing noise when I turn the steering wheel.
Csbieszk

Have it scanned for hard and soft codes. The bushing/grommet where the steering column penetrates the bulkhead is probably the source of the squeak. Dry silicone spray should help it.

Rivermikerat
MIGHT WANNA LOOK FOR A VACUUM LEAK TOO

SQUEAL OR KINDA A SQUEAK?

WIFEY HAS AN 'O3, THE PLASTIC ON THE STEERING WHEEL ITSELF HAS A LOW PITCH SQUEAK WHEN IT MOVES ON/ IN THE COLUMN--I TRIED A SHOT OF SILICONE ON IT, IT HELPED BUT NOT 100%. IT IS REALLY LOW AND TOLERABLE NOW.I AIN'T GONNA TEAR INTO IT, JUST 'CAUSE PLASTIC IS RUBBING PLASTIC. IF THIS AIN'T YOUR SITUATION

A FREE "LOOKY" MIGHT BE THE FELLERS AT A SMALL OPERATION AUTO SALVAGE YARD, OR THE GUYS AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE