T&C RADIO PROBLEMS

2001 Chrysler Town and Country • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

No sound on a radio 2001 chrysler town and country lxi need help
Noalexi99

If you have an Infinity system, check the fuse for the remote amplifier. I assume you checked the cd and / or cassette player for sound too. Depending on the model of your radio, it can be dead including no display. Holler back with a physical description of your radio. I've repaired a lot of Chrysler radios.

Also check for inoperative interior lights, lighter, and horn. One of these circuits will power the radio's memory circuit. Some radio models will appear to work normally but have no sound if the memory fuse is blown. The clue is the clock will reset to 12: 00 each time you turn on the ignition switch.

I have the same problem with my 01 T&C. Cassette, cd, and radio don't seem to get sound. Display works fine for all and the clock doesn't reset to 12: 00 each time. I know all the lights and horn work but not sure about lighter yet, will check tomorrow but any other suggestions to fix this?

Itznish
Is the cd player and cassette in one radio or do you have the cassette player with a remote-mounted four-disc changer under the radio? Do you know if you have the Infinity system with a remote amplifier or little amps on the speakers?

Remote-mounted four-disc changer under the radio and cassette. It is an Infinity system with a remote amplifier I believe.

Itznish
Can you pull the radio to see the model number? There are a few models that have a 100 percent failure rate and a lot of mechanics get falsely blamed for causing the damage. The most common unit is model 56038518 and has three tone controls with yellow leds. There are also some models with two non-lighted tone controls but they don't all fail. If this sounds like your radio, I can copy and paste a better description of the problem and the fix.

I won't be able to open it til tomorrow. Is there any other way I could find the model number? Or if you could paste me the solutions for both types to save time when I do get to work on it. Thanks for the helping me on this btw!

Itznish
Here's a copy of a previous reply: The radio broke down a long time ago, but the problem will not show up until memory power is removed as in replacing the battery. If you have the cassette model 56038518 or the cd model that ends with "67", these are built by Chrysler with a microprocessor built by North American Philips, (NAP), the same people who build the really crappy Magnavox and Philips tvs. All microprocessors in all electronic equipment have a "reset" circuit that sets the millions of transistors to their starting point, (on or off), rather than letting them start from some jumbled random state. That reset circuit only operates for a few milliseconds when power is first applied. After that, it's job is done and it will not operate again until the next time the radio is unplugged, the battery is disconnected or run dead, or the interior lights fuse is replaced. That fuse is the memory circuit for the radio. Once the radio is up and running, that reset circuit can fail and you will never know it.

The most common problem is the three yellow leds in the tone controls blink about once per second and you hear a thump in the speakers at the same time. There is a list of about a dozen other things that go wrong, all related to the microprocessor. Some radios go dead for five seconds after moving the volume control. On some the sound will quit when you move a tone control and won't come back until you turn the radio off and back on. Sometimes the stations won't change when you try to tune to a new one. This mostly affects the radios with the three lighted tone controls but there are some models with two non-lighted tone controls that are also affected.

A lot of mechanics are falsely accused of damaging these radios because the problem shows up right after they performed any service that requires the battery to be disconnected.

There are two models built by Mitsubishi that are direct replacements and are real high quality. They look the same, mount the same, have the same lighted tone controls, and will run the same remote cd changer if you have one. The cassette model has one extra button for "scan". These radios weigh about three times more than the Chrysler-built models. They were only used for one year in only a few car models so they're kind of hard to find. They are in high demand by used car dealers to replace non-working radios in their cars. I have some of all three, the cassette model, cd model, and the combo units. I repair and sell these radios at the nation's second largest old car show in Wisconsin. The cassette model is real popular for replacing your model.

I do have that model number on my other post yes it is that

Noalexi99
So what should I do how can I make it have sound

Noalexi99
Mine also has the 3 light led tone controls. Checked the horn, lights, lighter, chargers and everything seems to be working. We unplugged and plugged the battery today and nothing seemed to help. Any other solutions?

Itznish