0 COMPRESSION AFTER HEAD GASKET N WATER PUMP REPAIR

2001 Chrysler Sebring • 89,000 miles

I have an 01 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 v6. A few weeks ago, car died n I found water in oil. Car would start but would die shortly after. I changed head gasket along with water pump. I also had cylinder head checked and it was fine. I go to start car and now it won't start. I have 0 compression. Here's a few questions:
1. I hear because the timing is off that's why there's 0 compression, true or false?
2. I hear I am not at risk of bending valves since car won't start, true or false?
3. Is all this cause timing is off? I changed water pump n prior to this repair car started. My mechanic was paid n here I am trying to figure it out cause he never came back. All I can think of is timing must be wrong but why 0 compression on all cylinders. It won't ever start!
Montiff1015

True. If the timing belt jumps one tooth, the Engine Computer will turn on the Check Engine light and set a fault code. If it jumps two teeth, the computer will shut the engine down to protect it. At three teeth off, (or more), open valves will hit the pistons and be bent. That will result in no compression.

Well I dont know how many teeth it is off, lol! My mechanic got paid and ran. So here I am. So are you saying when I try to start the car I am bendind valves? Could it be 0 compression simply because the timing is off and the valves are open? Or is it certain there is damage to the valves now?

Montiff1015
If only the timing is off on a "non-interference" engine, there will still be some hint of compression. Yours is an interference engine so the valves will be bent when the timing is off. The engine will sound different too when you crank it. It will sound the same as when all of the spark plugs are removed to perform the compression test.

A more accurate test is a cylinder leakage test. That involves forcing compressed air into a spark plug hole through a special test unit, while that piston is at top dead center. Then you listen for where the air is escaping. If the valves are bent, you'll hear the air hissing at the tail pipe for exhaust valves and in the air cleaner housing for intake valves.