Z71

2001 Chevrolet Truck • 203,000 miles

My husband has a 2001 Chevrolet Z71. It is running hot when idling for a while and he is hearing a noise coming from the motor. It's not a knocking noise. He recently had oil changed and had them put the kind of oil used in new vehicles. He wonders if he should have had them put the other kind in because he wasn't having problems with truck prior to oil change.
Kellie_ar

What does the oil pressure gauge show while idling?

Ausername123456
Oil pressure gauge shows normal.

Kellie_ar
Can you describe the noise you hear arround the front of the engine? Also look for leaks around the water pump.

Ausername123456
This may be localized boiling in the block, if the thermostat has failed you can get these hot spots and banging check the cooling system first if the oil pressure is normal.

Mhpautos
My mistake. The noise is consistent. It's not just when it's running warm. Oil pressure when idling is about 35 or 38 but when going down the road it's about 45 or 50. I really appreciate you responding because this has my husband concerned. He recently bought the truck and it was a one owner before him. If this could end up being something major we'd like to know so we can get it fixed. He uses the truck on daily basis for his work.

Kellie_ar
Did you find problem/noise?

Fixitmr