CHEVROLET SUBURBAN NOISE PROBLEM

2001 Chevrolet Suburban • 189,000 miles

I drive a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3 V8. When I fire up the engine it starts to make a claking noise after idling about 10-15 seconds. It makes the noise then it dies off slowly as it warms up. Sounds like if the engine is dry and doesnt get lubbed until it runs for a about another 10-15 seconds after it starts making the noise. I had an incident with the oil pressure sensor where it wouldnt read any pressure at all and as it warmed up the pressure would pick up to normal. It happend a few times but it eventually went away. Would that have anything to do with it? Could the pick up be clogged or do I need another oil pump? What could it be? Thanks for your help.

If the gauge is saying no pressure and you hear noise from the engine, I would say you have no oil pressure. As far as the cause, it could be a plugged pick up tube or the pump itself is bad. The only way to tell is to remove it and check.

It does read normal oil pressure but like I said the claking noise starts a little after I fire it up and goes for like 5-10 sec. And then it goes away.

Omar Rojas