CHEVY 5.3 PICKUP LIFTER TICKING

2001 Chevrolet Silverado • 80,000 miles

Some of the engine lifters are ticking in the am when I first crank the truck. I use full synthetic oil and have tried different weights. I pretty sure that these are roller lifters. I can assume they are leaking down, but you would not think so with only 80K miles and I have had it serviced reguarly. Any ideas of another reason for the ticking, or is there a history with this problem with these engines.
Lpeek

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge if its within specs-

The pressure looks good I will put a gauge on it, do you know if these engines have a history of low oil pressure. The factory gauge comes up quick when it is first started and te ticking stops

Lpeek
Not that I'm aware of-

Lpeek, what'd you come up with on that oil pressure test? Our reference shows a valve lash adjustment for that engine.

Rivermikerat
Have you noticed any coolant loss? These 5.3 engines had castech heads on them and they will leak cooant internaly and cause the lifters to tick. If so you can pull your valve covers off and look around the center bolts to see if there is and clean spots on the head where the coolant has been washing the oil down. There is no valve lash adjusment you tighten the rocker arm bolts to 22lb ft and thats it.

Chevyforlife
I am going to check the center head bolts, In the past when I built small block chevys I would put gasket maker around the head bolts, is that the fix here or is this more serious

Lpeek
More serious you gave to replace the heads

Chevyforlife
These trucks had bad problems with carbon buildup on the piston skirts. When this happens, they will have a ticking noise on cold start up for anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds. After that, the noise stops.
The solution is to remove all of the spark plegs from the engine when it is cold. Use a funnel and rubber hose to pour in 1/4 bottle of seafoam or GM top engine cleaner into each cylinder. Allow the stuff to sit overnight. Cover the engine with some old towels to pevent solvent from contacting painted surfaces. Unplug the two main ignition coil connectors. Crank the engine over to blow out all of the solvent and carbon. Change the oil and filter. Put the plugs back in and connect the coils, then start the engine. It will smoke real bad for a few min, but the ticking noise should be gone for a while.(20-30K miles) If you still have the noise after this, you probably have some weak lifters.

Dennyp
I haven't looked this one up yet, but aren't most GM products equipped with solid lifters and lash adjustments?

Rivermikerat
I am going to ordea a shop manual. I think this engine has hydorlic roller lifters. I think Dennyp may have the answer. I am going to try the seafoam as soon as the weather gets better. If that don, t work I am going to look at the lifters. Thanks for all the info when I get in to this I will post what I find

Lpeek
Page 1 of 2