MY TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS MOVING UP AND DOWN, NO HEAT WHEN IT GOES UP

2001 Chevrolet Malibu • 90,000 miles

Hi,
When I start my malibu and dive it my temperature gauge will go up to 2/3 wich is to hot, after it hits the 2/3 it will go right back down to the normal 1/2 way mark while its going up I have very little to no heat coming out of my fan.
i recently had my thermostat changed because of simmilair issues and it was working fine for about 3 weeks, now its acting up again.
I watcehd my mechanic change the thermostat and he did "burp" the system and all tht. What is probably the cause of this? The ca has about 200000 km on it
Rboermans81

Needs burping again? Are you losing any coolant? Gauge readings+loss of heat indicates low coolant/air in system. You may have gasket problem on intake or head or a leak somewhere else?

Fixitmr
I don't seem to be loosing any coolant, im gonna double check tho and I checked for the common signs of a head gasket problem ( dirty oil white smoke etc) and thts all fine. Could it have anything to do with the thermostat tht got replaced like I said it was doing great up untill after 3 weeks I had it replaced I apreciate the response

Rboermans81
Allright I double checked and there was some coolant gone, I topped it up and drove it and the temperature kept around the halfway mark, still moving up and down but no overheating. I guess I have a leak somewhere eh, so if anyone has to guess where would it be I know the malibu is known for this problem, I did check the oil and stuff again and its clean, the car isnt skipping a beat or nothing so I think (hope) we can rule out the head gasket, also would it be wise to add a liquid sealer maybe to the coolant?

Rboermans81
Drive it some more and keep checkin coolant and fillin to see if it continues to lose it. Get under hood when hot and see if there's a coolant smell.

Fixitmr
Hello again,
Ok ive kept filling it allthough there was hardly any if at all coolant missing and when hot I smelled nothing under the hood or in the car, another weird thing happened though I was driving it yesterday on my way to town the temperature gauge was doing its funky thing again, I could feel cold air flowing so I knew it was going up, but this time it whent all the way up till the overheat light came on, I pulled off the highway and stopped the car immediately and popped the hood, when I opened it I was expecting a lot of heat coming towards me but this wasnt the case, I could touch the engine it was warm but not hot it was warm as to be expected from a 15 minute drive, I squeezed the radiatore hose and again it was warm but not burning hot as to be expected from an overheated engine.
I brought it in to my mechanic shop and he looked and try to figure out wat the problem was. He couldnt tell me he said it might be the head gasket still but he said then the engine would feel a lot hotter. I dont even know what it could be its a mystery to me, and any help is apreciated a lot. Thanks in advance ! Also the gauge seems to be moving more when I have the hot air blowing then when I have the colder air going

Rboermans81