CAR STALLS WHEN RPMS DROP BELOW 500 MARK

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier • 134,000 miles

I have an 01 Chevy Cavalier Z24. When I brake to slow down, if my rpms reach the 500 mark, it usually stalls my engine. I can try to rev my engine, if I catch it in time, to get it above the 500 mark and the car won't stall. While driving, I can feel the delay in my car shifting gears as well. I just took my car to a mechanic to get a new O2 sensor. Had my car tested and the O2 sensor was the only thing that read bad. So now I'm once again stumped.
Nicolesmith

If you turn on the ac does the idle problem go away?

Also which engine do you have?

I have the same exact problem and the ac is off when that happens

Jbernal50
And it wastes a lot of gas more than usual

Jbernal50
And its a 2.4 thats the one I have

Jbernal50
Same model year etc?

It's a 2.4 as well. I have to leave my a/c on at all times for extra assurance but the problem still occurs with the a/c on too. Just not as quickly as with it off. Still have to rev engine to prevent the stalling when braking.

Nicolesmith
If the problem doesn't go away with the ac on its not the problem I thought it was. Do you have any codes in the computer?I would also try removing the idl air control valve and cleaning it.

I'm not sure about the code thing. But also, my mechanic had asked me today if the stalling occurs after my car warms up and it does. I don't know if that would help in answering or not. They're gonna take another look at it Thursday.

Nicolesmith
I would check it for codes and also clean the idle air control valve. Please keep me posted.