I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT THE CLANKING NOISE FROM REAR UNDERNEATH MY BALZER

2001 Chevrolet Blazer • 115,000 miles

It started last week like something was loose but I got under and check and can't find anything loose. I was thinking it could be the u-joint but don't want to bye if it is not that. Any suggestions? Also, there is a lot of play in the steering wheel.
Shazam317

The steering wheel play could be a steering gear out of adjustment, worn tie rod ends, worn drag link ends, or even loose wheel bearings.

Make sure the shocks are both torqued properly, top and bottom. Leaf spring to axle housing bolts, leaf spring end bolts.

When does the clanking occur? Acceleration/deceleration? Normal operation/ steady state? Bumps?

Grasp the driveshaft and twist it back and forth. While twisting, make sure the differential yoke is moving in unison. Shake the driveshaft. There should be no play. If either fail, it's the u-joint. Perform the same test at the front of the driveshaft as well.

Rivermikerat