VOLVLO 5CYL V70: SERPENTINE BELT INSTALLATION. HOW TO RELEASE EXCESS TENSION WHEN PLACING NEW BELT. THE SLIGHT MOVEMENT OF THE TENSIONER ( 5MM/ 3/16" ) DOES NOT ALLOW FITTING. IS SOMETHING MISSING, OR 'AN UNSPOKEN STEP ? ? ROUTING VERIFIED/ AS REMOVED &

2000 Volvo XC70 • 140,000 miles

The VOLVO 5 CYLINDER, NON-TURBO AWD. Technique should be similar tthroughout early 200x years.
K3cxcbernie

Sorry, we don't have the information you're looking for not in our references

It is a very tight fit in there. Remove the 2 14mm bolts in the front engine pad and remove the upper torque mount bar on top of the engine. Using a floor jack and a pieve of 2x4 so you wont damage the oil pan, jack up the engine. That will give you way more room to work with. To get the belt on you need to make sure the belt is on properly on all pulleys. If it is half way say like the A/C it makes it seem like the belt is too short. The easiest way will be to slide the belt last on the tensioner roller since it is smooth. You can get it on the power steering pulley last but it is very hard and I have mastered it by tilting the engine back and making sure the belt is on properly on all pulleys. Hope this helps you out. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

JIS001
Hope to have opportunity to complete 'project' this evening. Your explanation characterizes my situation exceptionally well. THANK YOU, JIS001. Have been self-maintainer of VOLVO since '74, 145 wagon. First 'serpentine' replacement. Put 270000 on my '85 740, wagon (first year prod.) And drove it to 'junk yard & scavenged materials for subsequent VOLVO's

K3cxcbernie
Just checking to see how your project went. Hope you got the belt in with no problems.

JIS001
Pivot /spring arm pulled with LONGER wrench (leverage ) moves easily and task completed as desired. Thank you s/ Bernie

K3cxcbernie
Our pleasure, Bernie. Please be sure to tell your friends about us.

Closing thread.

Rivermikerat