VOLVO S40 BLOWN HEAD GASKET PROBLEM

2000 Volvo S40 • 140,000 miles

Yesterday my car began overheating rapidly when I came to a stop light. When I initially started the car that morning, the heat wasn't working, but the car was not overheating, nor was the check engine light on, or anything else abnormal that Please help!
Hlasky12

Your question is cut off. Can you restate?

Fixitmr
Half your question was cut off. Check the water pump and for flow through the radiator.

Rivermikerat
Yesterday my 2000 volvo S40 began overheating rapidly when I came to a stop light. When I initially started the car that morning, the heat wasn't working, but the car was not overheating, nor was the check engine light on, or anything else abnormal that would indicate a problem. Pulling over immediately and popping the hood, I saw that anti-freeze was spewing out of the resevoir. I then refilled the tank with water, and was able to drive the car to my father (a mechanic) who lives approximately 15 miles from where I was at. During this time the heat still was not working, but the car did not overheat at any point during the drive. My father inspected the car and noted that the anti freeze was mixing with oil, but there was no white smoke emitting from the tail pipe, etc. Could this be anything besides a blown head gasket, such as a damaged tubo?

Hlasky12
I'm not terribly sure, but I don't think the turbo has coolant in it, just oil to lubricate and cool it.

A blown head gasket open between oil gallery and water jacket will allow them to mix without causing white smoke. A cracked head or block in the same way could also.

Rivermikerat
Check for an internal leak in the oil cooler. It is mounted on the oil pan.

JIS001