VOLKSWAGEN OTHER ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Volkswagen Other • 280,000 miles

Car does not start. Engine turns. Tested spark and found none. Battary new.
Jrhaselau

With key in the ON position, does the check engine light come on (bulb check)?

Thomas

Exovcds
Not entirely sure which light you are talking about. This is a Golf MK 1, so it still has the old dash. The only lights that come on when the ignition is turned on are the Battery and Oil light as per norm. I also checked the Distributor Cap and found no faults.

Jrhaselau
I'm no mind reader. The subject said 2000 Volkswagen.

Points or electronic ignition?

Thomas

Exovcds
My apologies, this is the first time I utilize this type of enquiry. The vehicle has an electronic ignition.

Jrhaselau
Does the rotor turn when the engine is cranked? If yes, timing belt is ok, if no, timing belt is not ok.

If rotor turns, disconnect hall sensor from side of distributor and check for power across the 2 outer terminals of the connector. Should be
battery voltage (one pin is power, the other is ground).

If power is present, briefly ground the CENTER pin from the hall harness plug to ground with a paper clip or the tip of a test light
attached to ground. Every time the center pin is briefly grounded, you should get a spark (have someone hold the coil wire 1/8"
from a clean engine ground / surface).

Sparking now?

Thomas

Exovcds
I'm still here to help. If it is not a Hall Sensor Style of Electronic Ignition, you have to let me know.

Thomas

Exovcds
Hi Thomas

Apologies for taking so long to reply. I was able to find the problem. There is a litle grey electronic box, which connect to the coil situated under the car's dash that was faulty. I can not remember the name of the part, but the problem has been solved.

Thanks for your advise. It help me trace the issue much faster.

Jrhaselau
The fuse box?

Good to hear you got it running!

Thomas

Exovcds