IS THERE A REASON THAT A VW OIL CHANGE WOULD BE TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS OTHER CARS?

2000 Volkswagen Jetta • 150,000 miles

My 22-year-old daughter owns a 2000 VW Jetta, with a gasoline-powered engine. She's had the oil changed a couple of times at a "quick-lube" type place where the oil change cost was in the $30-$40 range, but a couple of times she's been told the cost would be $80-90. Most recently, when she was told the cost would be $80 for a simple oil change, she asked why and was told it was the type of car. She said "no thanks" and left. So my question: is there some reason that an oil change on a Jetta would be so expensive?
Rb_colvin

That is hard to say. I don't see any manufacturer making the oil filter that hard to get to. The only thing I can think of is that it uses a cartridge type filter which would mean that the oil filter case gets re-used and the element is changed out. It takes a little more time to clean the housing, but it is still not that bad. It could possibly have synthetic oil in it, but I doubt that. I would ask them how much time it takes to do the job.
This is the same shop giving her different prices? Time to move on to a boetter place. If you can find a Mobil oil change center that is a really good place to go. You really should take their mainteneance advice to as $100 in maintenance saves $1000 in repairs.

"I don't see any manufacturer making the oil filter that hard to get to"
you obviously dont know v dubs.
What kind of engine? 1.8t oil filter is a bi*ch to get at.
Yes all vw's use synthetic oil.

Brent0nFire
That is why I asked how many labor hours it takes to complete the job.
Certainly if they come OEM with synthetic, that must be concinuted and would justify the cost. Mobil 1 is about $7-8 a quart through a shop while other brands are more. An OEM filter must be used as well. That is something that would add to the cost.
If it is a turbo model synthetic oil is very important. You might wanbt to spend the extra money on getting AMSOIL or another of the Top Nothch synthetics. Mobil 1 will not steer you wrong, but AMSOIL is hard to beat when it has been in the "Ball bearing"wear test against competitor's.