WILL CRANK FIRE THEN DIE AND WILL NOT STAY RUNNING, SOMETIMES IT BACKFIRES TO.

2000 Volkswagen Golf • 111,564 miles

2000 golf bought it and was told it had a bad starter so we bought a new one. Now it turns over runs for about three seconds and either backfires and die's or just dies. We are at a loss everything looks fine under the hood, we have changed the oil as well it was low and we thought that with it dieing and the oil light comming on that maybe it needed more oil. We have hooked it up to a scan tool but we dont get any codes acually says the pcm is not communicating or bad connection or nothing registers at all, checked the scanner on other cars and it seems to be in working order, but will not work on this one. Where should I start?
Cowponies005

Check the wires to the diagnostic connector. Loss of communication means there is either a wiring problem between the ECU and diagnostic connector, or a bad computer.

Rivermikerat