TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP STUCK ON.

2000 Volkswagen Beetle • 135,000 miles

Is it possible to disconnect the torque converter lockup on a 2000 vw new beetle GTX 4 speed auto? It is stuck on and the car is dragging.
Pcdj64

GLX not GTX

Pcdj64
Not that I am aware. It may be the actual converter that has failed and not the controls. Let a shop verify that for you.

The TCC is controlled by the N91 solenoid in the Valve Body.

The TCM sends a PW signal to the solenoid... if the clutch is always
on, then the solenoid is most likely stuck, allowing constant pressure
to the TCC.

Remove the solenoid for inspection.

I assume 01M Tranny: Pictures in link show location

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3592380

Thomas

Exovcds
Thank you very much, the answers are very helpful to me.
The car sat for a long time before I got it and the transmission was ok when it was parked, you think maybe there is a slight chance lubeguard might free up the parts that are sticking? I can't even see the transmission there is so much stuff in the way, I imagine it will be a fortune to get it fixed.

Pcdj64
Don't know if an additive would help or if it is even OK to add to
stock Transmission fluid.

The valve body is easy to get to. As suggested by ASEMaster6371, have
it looked at by a Transmission Specialist for an estimate.

Thomas

Exovcds
Addition to question.
No codes when scanned for issues, the torque converter is not stuck as I thought it was.
I was told that the 1.8 turbos have lag so they are very slow off the line if you have an automatic.
If I give it only about 1/4 throttle it seems to take off fine and has some power but if I press it 3/4 or more it just about moves and the RPMs don't climb unless I am already going about 25 or 30 and then it will take off fast. You never feel it shift, it is at 4000 RPM on the highway at 60 to 65, not sure if that is normal, according to the shop the little engines can handle high RPMs that is why the tach is high with the turbo on the highway.
The is my first automatic VW, not sure if you are supposed to know when they are shifting and if they really are that doggy with automatics.

Pcdj64
I think there's still something going on. If you don't feel it
shift, then it it not starting off in the correct gear.

Limp mode will be 3rd gear, that will cause slow acceleration until
you are up to speed, at which point it can feel normal.

Can you shift it manually 1, 2, 3 to D to see if it makes a difference?

Don't shift up until 2500/3000 rpm.

Thomas

Exovcds
How can I get it back into limp mode? Codes popped up today for solenoid A and B and some kind of pressure solenoid, I erased the codes and that made it start shifting or trying anyway, it starts with first, lots of takeoff then hits second and sometimes third or it just goes neutral and I have to come to a stop for it to grab again, fourth gear still has yet to ever work.

Pcdj64
The TCM will (should) activate limp mode on its own. There are
ways to manually do it, but I'd rather not suggest that.

Have a transmission shop look at it.

Thomas

Exovcds
Transmission shop says $1,500 to put in a reconditioned valve body.
I have been doing research about the 01M transmissions and a lot of people replace just the solenoids and harness and have good results.
Since I was getting codes for solenoids is there a chance that can do the trick? The transmission never slips when the gear engages, only when the solenoid lets it go.

Pcdj64