00 FUEL FILTER

2000 Toyota Corolla

Hello all. How do I connect the fuel pump to the fuel filter?

I have a 2000 Corolla that sat for a while. The fuel pump needed cleaning so I disassembled the sending unit and cleaned it. When I removed the pump from the filter, there was a round black clip that I had to pull back from the filter with a flathead. When I removed the pump, this clip stayed with the pump. There was also an o-ring and a white plastic piece. I reassembled by having the filter, white plastic piece with smaller diameter surface up, oring, clip, fuel pump. It did not seem to go back together as it was before seperation. I was worried the fuel pump would pop out of the filter once I was driving it down the road, but thought that when I assembled the whole sending unit back together, it would hold it in. I was wrong. The fuel pump popped out of the filter.

I have spent many hours on the internet trying to find instructions on how to connect the fuel pump and filter. Schematics do not show the oring, black clip, and white piece so I do not know the correct order or orientation. All the instructions I have found basically say insert fuel pump into fuel filter, but do not explain how to do that. How do I do that? I can post pictures if needed. Thanks.
bbqMAN70 is offline Reply With Quote
BAC

Post some pictures so we can understand what is wrong.

Which component is causing you trouble?

Here are pictures of the parts involved. I do not know the correct orientation and order.

BAC
Also, it is a CE. The types of sending units you posted do not look like mine. Thanks for your help.

BAC
Ok, here is the correct diagram.

I believe you did install the "O' ring and cap (white plastic piece) correctly but you must ensure the cap locks into place after you push the pump into the filter. Th epump popping out is because it is not lockec into position and at bottom of filter, ensure the cushion is in position, not allowing the pump any movement away from the filter. Ensure all parts of the housing are clipped and locked into position securely.

Do I put the black clip on the pump, slide the o-ring onto the clip all the way down, coat with vaseline and then put it in the filter? Inside the filter the surface is smooth. There is not anything that allows the pump to snap into place. Thanks for the diagram.

BAC
Yes, the clip then the cap and the O'ring, they go in that order at the pump.

Once you push the clip into position, it would hold. The inner surface might look smooth but it is slightly smaller at the outer edges.

Like this? Or do I insert the parts into the filter first?

BAC
Yes, and push it into the filter. A little petroleum jelly would enable you to fit it in easier.