TOYOTA CAMRY ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Toyota Camry • 11,400 miles

Son drives my old Toyota Camry LE, 114,000, stalled on him twice yesterday & then he heard a loud pop & lots of smoke, unable to start, drive it, had to have it towed, he lives 5 hrs away from me. Today found out the engine blew, $5000.00 to replace engine, should I do this? Been a great car, body good, cannot afford another car, and a used one at 5000.00 would be somebody elses problems? Don't know what to do.

$5000 for the engine and replacement is way too much for that car in my opinion. Find a local college/Highschool that does auto work and they will do the work for free for their program with profesional technicians/teachers watching over the students. It was a great experience for me. Sometimes it does take longer then usual, but when money is tight something has got to give. If they break anything, they pay for it and fix it until it is right.

Find a used engine local to him at a junkyard or you can even have JDM motors shipped that have 30-50k miles on them for a good price that is a lot less then $5000.

Blaze45