ENGINE STALLS AND HESITATES ONLY AFTER ENGINE HAS BEEN RUN AND THEN TURNED OFF FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES THEN RESTARTED. DOES NOT HAPPEN WHEN ENGINE COLD.

2000 Toyota 4Runner • 175,000 miles

Drove 120 miles today on vehicle. No problems until I would turn off engine for approximately 15 minutes and then restart. Thats when the stalling would occur. Then I would pump the gas several times to clear the fault and then continue on. Leads to and exciting adventure if pulling out onto a road full of traffic. After engine has been running there is no hesitation. Just purchased vehicle and problem arose after deal was complete. Bought new gas cap because there is no positive pressure on fuel tank. That did not help. Not sure if all this is related. MAF has been cleaned. New cataylitic converter and exhaust. New timing belt, water pump, radiator, belts gaskets. The list goes on but no fuel parts. Noticed there is a dent in the center of the fuel tank that I have had mechanics look at. They both felt that it would not effect the vehicle, but I wonder where the fuel pump pick up is and if that would cause reduced fuel pressure. Also since these events seem to be temperature related I was leaning towards a fuel pressure regulator. What do you think?
330driver

Scan for codes first and check fuelpressureshould be 44-50 if a 4cyl and 38-44 if V6 and it cold effect eh performance if the pickup was damaged or to close to bottom of tank.

Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the IAC are temperature related components.

Replaced Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, PCV valve, and cleaned and adjusted IAC valve. Truck ran great. No stalling after engine shut down and there was no surging during accleration and even had positive pressure in fuel tank which it did not have before. Then there was a smell of gas in the car, but it continued to run fine until I shut it down and then went to restart it after about 15 minutes. It again began to stall. Then you pump the gas pedal and you could clear it. Checked for any hoses that may have come loose. Found one and clamped it but did not fix the problem. Bought a used fuel tank and plan to dig into it to see what I can find. Any clues?

330driver
Did you check for trouble codes?

On the 2000 4-runner get rid of it fast! We had the same issue on a Certified 4 runner purchased from a dealer. We ended up getting a trade in on it. Horrible experience in 3 months its cost us over 1,000 bucks. Toyota Corp. Will not help you.

Nancymauthe
This is not the type of response we would like to be passing on. For you to have a bad experience does not mean others would. Toyota vehicles are rather reliable and if you had any bad experience, I would put it down to whom you interacted with.