SATURN SL1 GAS PROBLEM

2000 Saturn SL1

I need to find out what is wrong with my car it started out when you put it into reverse it didn't want to kick into gear so I touched the gas gently and it jerked so that fowwling Monday I put it into reverse to take it to the shop it didn't want to kick into gear so I touched the gas gently it jerked made a loud bang noise and cut off but all it is doing is turning over can you please help me
Tiffany10

That year and model you most likely have a loose input shaft nut or worn out pressure regulator bore in the valve body.I could tell more with a pressure test. So it won't start in park?Does it have spark?

No it want start in none of the gears and yes it does have spark I keep getting different stories from people its either the crank shaft or the transmission or the torch converter but I have a 2 yr old daughter and that's my only car to take her to doctors appt. I just need to find out what it is

Tiffany10
Have you tried holding your gas pedal to the floor while cranking and trying to start it?

I tryed that it still want start could it be the motor? I just need it to start and I can take it to a shop

Tiffany10
Were exactly at will that valve body be located at

Tiffany10
The valve body is under the battery under the transmission valve body cover. You could have a bad coolant temp sensor.

Could it jump time? And were do you think I should start first to find out why it want crank

Tiffany10
Spray a little carb spray in the throttle body and see if it starts?

Could that be one of the problems?

Tiffany10
We have to elimate things we could also do a compression test. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?