CE2 TDC

2000 Saturn SC2 • 4 cylinder •

2000 saturn sc2. Trying to set at tdc to change cyl. Head. Just wanted to clarify the tdc mark on the timing cover
Stumpfy10

The timing marks are on the crank sprocket and the block you have to remove the front timing cover to remove the timing chain to remove the head.I wouldnt have the engine on tdc when removing the timing chain because if the spring loaded cams suddenly jump it could make the valves hit the piston and bend a valve.I would go 60 degrees past tdc when removing the timing chain.

I know where the timing marks are on the cams and harmonic balancer but I didn't know if I was looking at the right mark on the timing cover. What I am looking at is on the timing cover inside the HB pulley and it is a nipple with a little square finger on the bottom of it at 12 oclock pos. Is that the tdc mark?

Stumpfy10
Yes its at the 12 oclock but that mark doesnt have to be any where special when you remove the harmonic balancer I never even pay attenion to those marks before I take balancer or front cover off.

Oh ok so just look at the mark on the crank gear and there should be one on the block I got ya. And go 60 deg clockwise (past tdc) correct.

Stumpfy10
Yes thats what I have always done. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ok lol I feel like an idiot. I have changed timing belts and heads before but I always get nervous especially with interference engines. Thanks a million, I am just trying to get my nephews first car on the road for him. Thanks for your time!

Stumpfy10
Your welcome thats what were here for iam the saturn guy on here. If you ever start another question on here and want me to answer it just start the question with this one is for saturntech9 and they will leave it for me.