HOW I OPEN UP THE STEERING WHEEL TO LOOK AT MY CRUISE CONTROL CIRCUIT?

2000 Saturn Other • 215,000 miles

My cruise control has stopped working and has caused my service light to come on. I think the problem lies within the steering wheel. I had a problem with my steering wheel and ignition locking up on me which I took a hammer to the ignition and tapped it some to loosen it up so it would turn. I think somehow this might have done something to the connection of my cruise control either that or me pulling the tabs out on my brake light sensors so the brake lights would go off when I let off the brake. Either one of those was the cause but I want to open the steering wheel up and see if the problem lies in there.
AdamCDoll1352

I would scan for any fault codes before messing with the wheel, do the simple diagionstic tests first.

Mhpautos
Just to add to this one if you had to tap on the ignition lock cylinder to get it to turn you need to replace the ignition cylinder. Also you mention your brake lights wouldnt shut off and the service engine soon light wouldnt turn off along with the cruise control inop. Sounds like your brake switch is out of adjustment I have had to adjust a ton of them due to inop cruise controls and codes set in the computer. Get the codes scanned at the auto parts store an let me know the exac code numbers you have not the code descriptions.