IS MY TIMING OUT?

2000 Renault Espace • 89,000 miles

What went wrong?
I have just replaced a dephaser pulley and timing belt on my Renault Espace 16v.
Now it turns over but wont start. I followed the instructions regarding locking the camshaft and crank.
I may have gone wrong because I could not turn the engine over clockwise (by hand) past a certain point so I turned it anti clockwise.
I noticed that the crank and crank pulley have key ways cut in them. Mine were pointing about seven oclock. Does this sound right or have I got the crank in the wrong place?
Please help
Stypejack

When you lock the camshafts, did you lock the crankshaft as well? For Renault engines, the crankshaft has to be locked and since you have the manual, it should have explained to you the location for locking it.

Our database does not have any information on this vehicle so I am not able to tell you if the crankshaft is a the right place or not.

Thanks for your answer.
I did lock the crankshaft with a pin. Well the pin went in I am not 100% it was in the hole in the crank but the cams were horizontal so I assume it was correct.

Stypejack
Recheck the the piston position.
Remove the # 1 spark plug and manually turn the camshaft to the horizontal position.
Insert a long screw driver into plug hole and slowly turn the crank and if screw driver drops, reverse the turning direction until you get the highest point. Check if the camshaft and locking positions are correct for both cam and crankshafts.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to help.
Ok I have done as you said and TDC for number 1 is set.
The camshafts have the slots vertical when they should be horizontal. My problem now is do I move the Crankshaft or the Camshafts?

Stypejack
Slowly turn the crankshaft till they are as close to where they should be as possible. Lock the camshafts and remove timing belt. Slowly turn the crankshaft opposite the direction you had been turning to get # 1 piston to TDC and lock it. Reinstall timing belt and recheck by turning the cranksgaft manually to test if there are any restrictions. Do not force if there are restrictions.

Recheck the timing belt position after making two turns of the crankshaft.