STEERING IS A BIT MUSHY

2000 Renault Clio • 104,000 miles

I currently have a problem with my steering on my Clio, it feels rather vague. I have just had the mot done which it failed as it needed the near side track rod end replacing which I did however the play is still there. On the mot it also flashed up that I have slight play in both steering rack arms. However I am not entirely sure it is this as I have been reading about the universal joint on the steering column and how it need to be welded together due to the connection wearing away? Is there a way to know for sure if it is the rack arms or the column. I have had a look at the column but cannot remove the rubber bell to see the join!
Any help much appreciated!
Thankyou
Louis158

If you weld the steering column swivel adapter, it will no longer be able to swivel.

The steering rack can be adjusted. There should be a relatively large locknut with smaller nut/allen bolt/plain head screw in the middle.

Jack the car up and turn the wheel all the way to one side. Press your chest against the wheel and grasp the rack bellows boot tight enough to feel the inner socket. Have a helper shake the wheel back and forth. You should feel the rack joggling in and out and the tire should wiggle as well. Repeat on the other side.

If the rack doesn't move, adjust for free play. If the rack does move, but the wheel doesn't, most likely the inner socket is worn.

Rivermikerat
Hi, thanks for your reply. So are you saying that welding the steering column u/j is not a good idea? You mention ways of testing to see if the steering rack is at fault but what about ways for looking at the steering column, because I definitely have a hunch that this is the culprit.
I have attatched an image of the job done by someone else who had a similar problem to me.

Thankyou.

Louis158
THAT is acceptable. I thought you meant welding the swiveling portion of the u/j. There should be a locknut or set screw that secures the column shaft to the steering universal.

Rivermikerat