PONTIAC SUNFIRE DIMMER SWITCH PROBLEM

2000 Pontiac Sunfire • 128,861 miles

When I turn my high beams on they wont turn on, and my headlights turn off can you help me solve this?
Rhoover77

And the headlights only turn off once the high beams are activated.

Rhoover77
Possibly issue with dimmer switch/multifunction.

Just to add, voltage to the headlamps is hot all the time. The headlamp switch is part of the ground circuit.

Ok where is the dimmer switch located, and can I do it myself?

Rhoover77
That arm that you pull to brighten or dim is connected to dimmer switch/multifunction switch.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disable the airbag.
Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering column trim covers.
Remove the 2 torque head screws from the multifunction switch.
Remove the multifunction switch.

There is a safety issue because of the airbag. Safety is your responsibility. You will also probably need a steering wheel puller. You have to decide if this something you want to tackle?

The multifunction switch is number 2 in the picture.

Ok, it look like a lot of work, I might have a professional to look at that problem.

Rhoover77
Heres another question: This car has winter tires in the front and the back, and I think it makes the car run funny, could that be the case, and if so what types of tires should I change to?

Rhoover77
I dont know? The area I live in has very mild winters, we dont use winter tires.