INTERCHANGEABLE TRANNY PARTS QUESTION

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix • 14,200 miles

I have a 00 grnd prix gtp. The right cv joint broke n broke the housing on the tranny for the axle. I got a used tranny for parts. Mine is a 0xab and the parts tranny is a 9xab. Im trying to change that outer housing and the inner gear cluster because there is a ring with teeth on outer edge of thegear cluster that broke. The part number is different from one to the other. Not sure if there is a difference in the part or because of the year. On the gear cluster of my tranny it has # 24202790R2 parts tranny it is 24202790R4. R these parts inter changeable or can I take that ring with teeth on the outer edge off n put on my gear cluster. They look the same but sure about number of teeth in the gear cluster. That outer ring with teeth is the same.
Lalfan

Redo question

Lalfan
I think what you are talking about is item 42 in the drawing i'm sending. That is the reluctor wheel for the speeed sensor and they both have to be the same on which ever trans you are putting in or taking out of the car. This is a 4T165 transmission or should be. Sound slike you can't take the ring off for the vss.

It has same number of teeth on it as other one. It is a ring about 4 inches around. I was worried about the gears that are like spider gears, 4 inside that housing. It all looks to be the same. Just trying to make sure what it interchangable.

Lalfan
Ok if thats' the case then it's ok, I was under the thinking that one was like a speedo drive and theother for a vss. As long as they have same teeth you shold be ok. Don't beat the hell out of hte thing though installing ituse a hammer and wooden block an dtap it getnly until it seats. The thing you are talking about is the reare end, make sure your acle will gointo it and your other stuff will fit.

Yes I guess it would be the rear end. Im hoping to just switch the whole thing so I dont break it trying to get it off n back on. Was just wanting to no if they inter change. Thanks

Lalfan
Im going to put in the whole rear end. Counted teeth n all have the same. Then I dont need to take the chance of breaking that part. Shaft sizes appear to be the same. So then the speedometer should read accurate. Dealer told me on the tag it says 0xab that 0 is the gear ratio bot the other tranny is a 9xab but have same number of teeth. So is that the gear ratio. 0xab is to be 2.93 ratio. So I dont no. But they appear to be the same. Thanks

Lalfan
Im trying to put the rear end back into the transmission. Having problems getting all the teeth on the rear end to line back up with the gears still in the trans. Is there anyhing special I need to do or just push n turn until everything lines up n goes backn together all the way. The gears in the rear end should just be flush with the gears they mesh with inside to be all the way in correct. It seems they are just starting to hit on the teeth inside on the ring they mesh with. So dont if its those that r not going together or if I hit inside with something else not letting it go anyfurther. Do u have a diagram of it or anything so I can see it. My book dont cover tranny. Thanks craig

Lalfan
Here is a chart. For the back end of trans.

So basicly u just push and turn to get all the gears to mesh. I was also wondering from one tranny to the other if the rear end could be bigger around on the planetary pinion gear, but the gears inside have same amount of teeth. Could there be a difference. Thanks

Lalfan