COOLING FANS

2000 Pontiac Grand Am • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 109,000 miles

My cooling fan only comes on when I turn on the A/C.I changed the temp sensor I checked the fuses and relays. But they don't come on like the should when the A/C off. Would could be the problem. The car is a 2000 pontiac grand am GT.
Michael1984

Try swaping fanrelay 1 with 2 if it works off temp then relay if not wiring or PCM. Do both fans come on with AC? Checked fan motor?

Docfixit
I checked the fan motors they are good. And both fans does come on when A/C is on. WHAT IS A PCM?

Michael1984
Cars computer

Docfixit
Ok thankyou for ur help

Michael1984
I see this question time and time again and 95% of the time, there is nothing at all wrong. These fans aren't programmed to come on until very high temps. It is a 2 speed system and low speed doesn't come on until about 225 degrees. That may seem to hot but it is not and this is the way it was designed to run.

Wrenchtech
Will the pcm give a code if its a problem with the computer. Because the car is running fine except the fans not coming on? Will it show other sign that the pcm is not working proberly.

Michael1984
There is nothing wrong with your computer. You have proven that the computer has control of the fans because they come on with the A/C. I doubt there is anything wrong.

Wrenchtech
Cause even when the niddle temp gauge gets to the middle and the niddle goes past the half point the fans still don't come on. Don't the niddle guage should stay in the middle?

Michael1984
No, it shouldn't, as I have already pointed out.

Wrenchtech