WHAT ELSE TO CHECK FOR WHEN ENGINE WONT STAY RUNNING

2000 Pontiac Bonneville • 156,000 miles

I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8 not supercharged and 157,000 miles that wont stay running. It starts but then stops.I have replaced the ignition switch. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor. I haved swapped out all 3 coils with ones I know work also swapped out maf sensor too. The fuel pressure is 42psi and raises up to 50 something with acceleration. What else is left before she finds the scrap pile?
Gmorrill

Can you keep it running if you try or does it just shut down?

It just shuts down. Battery has charge plugs and wires under 2 years old too.

Gmorrill
You need to check to see if power is lost to the coil when the key returns back to the run position.

Where should I meter this?

Gmorrill
At the coil

Does it matter which one of the 3 coils or test each one?

Gmorrill
I won't matter which one. I think either the ignition switch or PCM may be an issue. In the start position, power is directed to the ignition switch differently than when it is in the run position. Therefore, you get power in the start position, and when you release the key to the run position, power is lost and it stalls. This is at least my theory at this point.

The ignition switch is new and what does PCM stand for. I am assuming power control module. Thanks for your input.

Gmorrill
That is correct, Power Control Module.

One other thing I found on line was a possibility of a bad ballast resistor. There is no one I know that has any clue what or where a ballast resistor is.

Gmorrill
Page 1 of 2