GETTING A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND ENGINE SHUTTERS

2000 Pontiac Bonneville • 150,000 miles

My 2000 bonneville check engine light will come on and start flashing. The car will start shaking and will hesitate and run rough doesn't happen all the time. The exhaust kind of putt putts.
Dbons33

Sounds like the guts of the catalytic converter could have come dislodged and is clogging the exhaust, sometimes. Do you hear something rattling around from under the car? When it starts to run rough does the exhaust seem to get quieter?

ProAutoTech
Yes itstarts to putt putt and engine shakes. When in park, if I press on gas, when the tack gets to 4 it will jump

Dbons33
Have the codes read at the car parts store for free. Write down the codes and let me know what they are.

ProAutoTech
The codes r 201 and 301

Dbons33
How would I fix a stuck open injector besides using the injector cleaner(tried already) it also has a 201code a misfire interest 1st injector. Are these hard to fix yourself?

Dbons33
Have you been doing maintenence? Possibly if the cylinder loses spark it will keep the injector from opening. You said it doesnt do it all the time, so it could be spark related. But if you really want to rule it out, you can swap injectors from a different cylinder if you can do that yourself. Make sure to bleed out the pressure or it will spray. If you still have a problem on the same cylinder it points to controller.

ProAutoTech
I pulled the censer plug off and plugged it back in and it stopped. It looks like someone had replaced the plug in the past bcause it has after market, and very poorly done, connectors splicing the wires back together. Could it be a loose or faulty plug or connection?

Dbons33
You may have just found the problem. Clean up the connection and let me know. Thanks!

ProAutoTech