2.4L 4CYL

2000 Plymouth Voyager • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 176,000 miles

I am having issuse with my van dying and not wanting to start back up. When it happens I seem to not be getting spark and the fuel injectors dont pulse. Brand new fuel pump brand new fuel filter. Camshaft sensor is good. Coil is good. New wires, new plugs. Brand new battery good, start is good. Happened going down the road the other day and I went from neutral to 1st and it turned the engine some and it started right back up. I get paid tomorrow and I am hoping I can find out whats wrong with it so I know what to buy and replace. Could this be? Does this sound like a crankshaft sensor?
Deadvoyager

This is typical of a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor failing when it gets warm. Have you checked for diagnostic fault codes?

I have had it hooked up to a computer at oreillys when it was NOT starting and it read no codes at all. However when I took the camshaft sensor off it still ran and the check engine light came on. When I replaced it light went off. As of now it runs about 2-3 mins and shuts down and doesnt come back on for couple days. Had to have it pulled up the hill today as it started went 3 foot then died. Going for crankshaft sensor tomorrow was thinking same myself. Will let you know if it worked-- Thanks

Deadvoyager
I'd sure feel better if there was a related code in memory, but if you found no spark and the injectors weren't firing, that suggests the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay turned off. The Engine Computer would do that if pulses were missing from those sensors. Older vehicles would stall if you unplugged the cam sensor. It's nice to know the newer ones can run without it, although it may be needed for starting. GM had a similar problem where the engine would continue to run when the cam sensor failed while driving, but once stopped, the engine either wouldn't restart, or had a 33 percent chance of firing the wrong cylinders, depending on the engine and year.

It was the crankshaft postion sensor. Too bad I bought a new fuel pump to rule out on the way lol anyways running great again over 500 miles on it. 80 dollar part with lifetime warranty 5 minutes to replace.

Deadvoyager
All right! One in a row. Happy to hear it's solved.