SMELLING GAS WHEN STARTING ENGINE.

2000 Plymouth Breeze • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 64,300 miles

We just bought a 2000 plymouth breeze. The day after we got it home my husband started it and smelled a very strong gas odor. We popped the hood and can smell it in the engine as well. I started it again today a few times and every time I got the same smell and as soon as I turned it off it went away. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Bettyviolet101

You may have a fuel line leaking (a very dangerous fire hazard!) Or you could have one or more defective fuel injectors in the engine. Defective fuel injectors may not stop the fuel flow when they "close" so it is possible to put way too much fuel into a cylinder, resulting in what was called "flooding" in the days of carburetors. If you bought the car from a dealer, take it back for safety reasons! It is unlawful to sell a fire hazard for a vehicle.

Gizmoguy
That is good advice. Check to make sure the fuel supply that runs along the firewall isn't leaking. Also, check all areas for leaks as well as fuel injectors.