HOW DO YOU TEST THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR?

2000 Nissan Maxima • 134,000 miles

We think the throttle is stuck closed at idle so we wanted to make sure the throttle position sensor is functioning properly.
Tavoytina

Do you have a check engine light? Best start at cleaning out the idle air control valve- aux air control valve

What is the issue you are having with car?

Fixitmr
No, no check engine light and we found on here how to clean the valve.
After you first start the car and it's at idle and even through 1st and 2nd gear the car almost sounds like it's choking and gurgling and rushes through those gears. There's also like a spinning sound. We know it has a chain for timing, so when I hear it it reminds me of a bicycle chain when you hand spin the foot pedal. Once you get to a faster speed it's almost like it gets a rush of air and then performs normally. There's no hesitation or sputtering associated with it.

Tavoytina
So it's an automatic and when you say speed you dont mean higher RPMs but higher MPH? What will it act like if you shift it manually so rpms can increase sooner?

Fixitmr
Right. It's an automatic and yes when it's at a higher MPH, it's seems to perform better once it gets through shifting through 1st and 2nd to get up to the speed you want. How would we shift it manually?

Tavoytina
Well, the shifter should have other choices forward besides D (drive) like 1-2 or 2-3 as long as that is selected it wont shift till you move it to the next choice forward. This way you decide what rpm to shift at.

Fixitmr