MITSUBISHI SHOGUN SMOKE PROBLEM

2000 Mitsubishi Shogun • 130,000 miles

I have recently purchase a 2.8 diesel. When test driven there was no smoke of any description from the exhaust and for the first 100 miles. I then checked the oil and added approx 3/4 liter to bring dipstick up to just below the full notch. I also found the coolant level low although no signs of over heating - approx 1liter to fill the rad. Immediately after doing these two jobs the car has started billowing white smoke from the exhaust although it starts and drives fine and no signs of overheating. Is the white smoke purely coincidental to my adding coolant and oil or is it connected? Solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks
James Firn

White smoke in a diesel cam be low compression, does this smoke smell strongly of raw diesel? Does it tend to sting the eyes?

Mhpautos
Thanks for reply. I have now discovered that if the coolant level in the rad is allowed to drop by approx 3/4 litre and the expansion tank is empty the white smoke disappears and the exhaust is completely clear. At this level of coolant, which is the level at which I bought the car, the heater is fine and there is no engine overheating. I am mystified as to why this is happening as when it does billow white smoke with the rad full the amount of smoke is quite amazing and then when the level falls it just stops. Any suggestions. Could it be a blown ch gasget? Thanks

James Firn
You may have a cracked head.

Mhpautos