WHEN KEY IS IN "ON" POSITION, ALL DASH LIGHTS COME ON. WHEN KEY IS TURNED TO "START", EVERYTHING GOES DEAD.

2000 Jeep Wrangler • 145,000 miles

Originally had " no bus" in odometer and gauges quit working, all intermittently. Vehicle would still run.
I removed the instrument cluster to clean and check the connections. When I put it back together, I got the above symptoms ( lights go dead, no start, no crank).
Mathwhiz

SOUNDS LIKE BATTERY GOING DEAD---ALTERNATOR MAYBE NOT WORKING

A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE CAN TEST BOTH

MAYBE IT'S A CRAPPY CONNECTION?

MIGHT LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

KEEP US INFORMED

Battery showing 12.7 volts on multimeter. If I disconnect battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it, I can get the dash lights with key in "on" position, but get nothing when key is turned to "start". Then if I turn the key off and back on, nothing. Not even dash lights. I repeated this process several times. Didn't have any trouble starting before I removed instrument cluster.

Mathwhiz
Recheck the cluster and also check/test the ignition switch

I r&r'd the instrument cluster. No findings. I have the ignition switch out. Can you give me specific instructions for testing the switch with a multimeter? Thanks!

Mathwhiz
YOUR SWITCH IS 12-13 YEARS OLD

YOU GOT IT OUT---WHY NOT REPLACE IT---JUST FOR GIGGLES AND PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE

IS THIS THE SWITCH?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Ignition-Starter-Switch-BWD_18970998-P_410_R%7CGRPSESWAMS_____

I'M GONNA HELP YOU WITH THIS AND OTHER STUFF IN THE FUTURE...LIKE A BATTERY OR OTHER EXPENSIVE STUFF!

JUST USING THE LINK I GAVE YOU---GO AHEAD AND STICK IT IN THE CART!

YOU CAN SEARCH THE WEB FOR A BETTER PROMO CODE OR USE THE ONE PROVIDED BY ADVANCE AUTO (JL 14)...(SEE THE DETAILS BESIDE IT, THESE CHANGE ROUTINELY)

THIS WORKS FOR OTHER STORES TOO!

CALL THE STORE TO INSURE THE ITEM IS IN STOCK, OR WAIT A DAY OR SO TILL IT COMES IN

CHECK OUT---INSTALL YOUR PROMO CODE---PAY FOR IT ONLINE.......FORGET ABOUT SHIPPING! .....CLICK TO "PICK UP" AT THE STORE

THEY SAY---WAIT AN HOUR.....HOW HARD IS THAT?

LATELY THE BOATERS HAVE BEEN SAVING A BUNDLE FOR "CRANKING" AND "DEEP CYCLE TROLLING MOTOR BATTERIES!......I TRY TO HELP EVERYBODY WITH THIS OVERLOOKED METHOD.....SPREAD THE WORD!

I tried the headlights just for kicks and they didn't come on. I accidentally forgot to turn the switch off and the next day, the battery was low( (no surprise!). I charged the battery and then put it and the ignition switch back in. Whatta ya know, it started right up. I ran it about 10 min. And everything was normal. I shut it off and restarted it. No problems. Even the "no bus" symptom was gone. I let it sit overnight and started it again today. No problems. Now I'm really confused, but happy. Thanks for your advice.

Mathwhiz