VACUUM LEAK

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 150,000 miles

I recently took my jeep to o'reillys to see what the check engine light was on for. They told me I had a vacuum leak. When I got home I started looking under the hood, and found a vacuum port that didn't have a hose on it. I looked around for a dangling hose, but didn't find one. Is it possible that there should just be a cap over the hose?

On the diagram under the hood, it shows there being a vacuum port that isn't used, and I do believe that this is the port that im talking about.

Danny9273

Is that a steel line? If so, chances are it isn't a vacuum hose. Can you feel any vacuum at it?

Yes, it is a steel fitting. It's one of those fittings with like three ridges on it to hold a rubber hose on. There is vacuum on it when I put my finger over it.

Danny9273
Plug it with a cap. See if the problem stops. It should.

Thats what I was thinking, seeing as how I couldnt find a hose hanging around. But with this uncapped as it is, when my car is stopped at a stop sign, it seems to act like it wants to die. But it never does.

Danny9273
That is what vacuum leaks do. They lower the intake vacuum; thus, the engine doesn't get the correct amounts of air / fuel. I feel confident once it is plugged, you will see an improvement. Especially if it is a large leak.