JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OIL PRESSURE PROBLEM

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 188 miles

The oil pressure gauge in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee v8 4.7L fluctuates as I use the accelerator. It sits around 0psi anytime I am under 30mph and only goes as high as 40-50psi when on the highway. The "check gauges" light always comes on but since fluctuates like a speedometer would when you change speeds, it goes off all the time. Please help!
Jeepy13

Check the actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge if its within specs- if it is consider replacing the oil pressure sending unit make sure its cleaned and properly connected before you replace it doing this and problem remain the same-Try an engine flush, the oil pump pressure relief valve could be sticking-

Great! Thank you so much for the guidance! Much appreciated!

Jeepy13
You're welcomed and Happy New Year

I was asked to look at a Durango, 4.7L. The oil pressure gauge occasionaly drops to zero. The lifters get loud, so I trust this is not just a oil pressure sending unit issue. I see the oil pump is on the crank, not in the bottom pan, So I will replace it. Is the pressure regulator part of the pump assembly? It looks like it from the parts store pictures . I also have read where the pickup screen gets sludged up; will a engine oil flush clean this? Do you recommend a brand?

Thank you in advance.

ShadeTreeJack
I also meant to ask jeepy13 - was your issue the pump or the sending unit?

ShadeTreeJack
It was my sending unit. Since I've had it replaced there's been no problems!

Jeepy13
Thanks for coming back with the fix-