HAS LOST ITS MIND!!!

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee • V8 4WD Automatic • 200,000 miles

Temperature over 100 degrees today in Memphis, TN. Power windows/power mirrors/ door lock sw on drivers side/alarm system/ headlight sensor/alpha numeric display all malfunctioned/stopped working at the same time. Driver door open indicator and seatbelt indicator on though neither situation present. Checked all fuses, relays and circuit breakers and checked codes. Nothing. Please help me identify this problem. It's too hot here to linger over.

Terry W. Clay, FF/NREMTP
Terry Clay

Mentioned nothing about not cranking or running!

I know little about the specifics of your vehicle

checking/ doing this stuff below may help. May not. But I hope its this simple, and you are good to go!

I'm down here in S.C.

TAKE YOUR BIG ELECTRICAL CABLES LOOSECLEANTIGHTEN WELLDO NOT JUST PASS IT OFF AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".

Do not leave off where the Battery cables connect to the Battery clamps! (The "squeeze connections" on the clamps) Do the clamps too!

While you are at it, Both ends of Pos cable, Both ends of NEG cable.

If you still have the problem. Follow Battery Positive cable to find the Solenoid. Don't leave off the connections there. Most of the time your accessories get their power at the solenoid, bolted against the Positive Battery Cable

It might be that your battery is down or dead. Possible cause, the alternator is not working or not properly.

You can test the voltage on your battery (engine off) and also test your alternator's output Voltage with the engine running, all done at the Positive and Negative Battery Posts. If you have a voltmeter (If you're lost in testing with it).I can talk you thru it!

Then sometimes with these new computer cars, there is some "wild" sensor, not present in older vehicles (like I am more familiar with), that throws a glitch into the equation. That's where I get lost!

Let me know how it goes,

I'm still open for questions or some assistance!

Other experts may still, jump in and save the day!

The Medic

Everything else works fine. Starts every time on the first revolution. It runs like a beast, alternator output is 13.8 V, all cable ends and connections are good. I've take the master control switch out of the drivers door and examined it and its connectors. Still nothing.

Terry Clay
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD Quadratrac 2, 4.7 liter V8

Terry Clay
I've been here over 2 years

I constantly watch the "Jeep" forum as I wait for another CJ 5, 7, or Scramble "victim" to arrive (few and far between) This is the area I know best.

I also try to answer those who get skipped over, or get things started, if it's late, sorta like "Triage" for another expert to be prepared for. And are within my capabilities, sometimes get in over my head!

Another can still jump in!

Like I said, been here a while, I read and try to learn from things that shoot thru here.

I have noticed that Cherokees sometimes have problems with wires breaking in the "pivot" at the door hinge, where the wire harness into the door bends. Whether this one might apply or not, I've seen several come thru where wires beside/ below/ inside/ next to the driver's "door step"? "Trim" on the floor? Once it's removed, it reveals wires that are broken and seemingly too far apart, to have been connected.I think they said it was a "expansion/ contraction" problem, and the wires could EZily have extensions soldered back in.

You may also run a search in our "search box" use key multiple words like Cherokee, wires, solder, and systems you are having troubles with. REVISING THE SEARCH WILL GET YOU DIFFERENT RESULTS. Sometimes you will luck up and get a solution from time gone by, Finally found by the "Question Asker" not by the expert!

One other suggestion I might offer, is to actually remove fuses and replace them several times, thus sorta scraping off possible corrosion and themselves and their "slots", finally re-install using "DIELECTRIC GREASE"

DOWN HER IN S.C, WE KNOW WHAT HOT IS TOO. BUT I SUSPECT THE HUMIDITY, CAUSES THE CORROSION PROBLEM ON THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION STUFF AROUND HERE (THE SILVER, KINDA TURNS WHITE OR MILKY). BOTH OF MY JEEPS HAVE EXPERIENCED IT, OTHER FAMILY VEHICLES, AND JUST VISITING THE AUTO PARTS STORE, I SEE OTHER FOLKS EXPERIENCING IT.

Let me/ us know whats happening

Someone else may be along soon!

The Medic

Got it! Black wire in the boot between the door and the body. Looks like that one wire was too short to start with. I supplies power back out from the door into the chassis of the Jeep. That's why so many other systems were affected. Soldering in a loop now. Thanks for your assistance. Hope this helps someone else. Oh. And NICE Jeep!

Terry Clay
HEEEEEEYYY!1

YOOOOOOOOOOOUU OOWWWWWWEE MEEEEEEEE LUUUUUUNNNCCCHHH!

WOW! THAT WAS SORTA GREAT OBSERVATIONS, STUDY, AND RECOLLECTION ON CJ MEDEVAC'S PART!

YOU COULDA NEVER DONE IT WITHOUT ME!

JUST THINK HOW MUCH FUNDAGE YOU SAVED, BY HANGING WITH THE FORMER "PAID" U.S. ARMY AIRBORNE RANGER/ NOW "PLUMBER" WHO OWNS/ AND "DOES" OLD, REAL JEEPS!

SOMETIMES (MOST OF THE TIME), I IMPRESS MYSELF!

YES, WHEN WE LINK UP FOR LUNCH, WE'LL DRIVE "WILLY"

INSURE YOU WRITE TO THE BIG GUYS AND TELL THEM TO GIVE ME A BIGGER OFFICE!

I'M SO HAPPY, AND YOU TOO, I CAN ALMOST SEE THE GRIN ON YOUR FACE!

I WAS REALLY ANTICIPATING. ABANDONMENT, AS OTHERS DO, BUT I REALLY AM GLAD YOU STUCK WITH IT AND CAUGHT IT!

"MAN CAVE" BELOW

Yep. Grinning indeed. One more thing to help someone else reading this. When everything is hooked back up, disconnect your battery for about ten minutes. This will reset all of the systems affected by the broken wire. Very homey cave somehow. RANGERS LEAD THE WAY! Hooah! Dragonslayer637@yahoo. Com

Terry Clay