GMC SONOMA AXLE PROBLEM

2000 GMC Sonoma • 118,000 miles

My truck has been in the shop 4 times for this issue, and they have been unable to diagnose the problem.

My rear passenger side tire area makes a metal-on-metal scraping noise that can be heard when moving between approx. 5 and 15 mph. It cannot be heard at higher speeds. It only happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a period of time. While vehicle is being continuosly driven, noise cannot be heard - even after being stopped at a traffic light or stop sign. Noise goes away when turning right, but can be heard when turning left. Cannot be heard when backing up. Any ideas?
Lynda in NJ

Not knowing what has been done is hard to diagnose, but check u-joint for rust around seals, if yo u see it replace them. Also when turning left right wheel goes faster so check wheel bearing and also check for rust on drum/caliper hitting something. Try adjusting rear brake shoes as they may not behitting corrrectly. The rear axle in that truckis known to have softer axles where they ride against wheel bearing so it may be that as well but i'd think there would be an axle leak.